IPL bonanza has made its return. With an unfortunate pandemic that had taken place, cricket had to take a back seat but now it returns with a bang.
2 teams have been at the pinnacle of this tournament since its inception who are:
Chennai Super Kings
Both teams share 7 of the 12 tournament wins between them. Mumbai has had the honor to lift this trophy 4 times while Chennai has lifted it for 3 times.
Therefore Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings fixture is massively awaited and we bring to you MI vs CSK Head to Head overview and analysis.
Head To Head Record:
Total matches: 29
MI wins: 17
CSK wins: 11
Total Matches: 9
MI Wins: 5
CSK Wins: 4
Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings Head to Head analysis:
The above data might show you the importance of encounters between these fierce rivals. IPL’s 1/3rd finals have been comprised of these two teams.
Mumbai Indians had a slow start in the IPL journey but picked their pace after 2010. They crushed past the majority in the 2010 season until the arrival of the last hurdle. Chennai battered them in the final giving Mumbai fans a day to forget. Their wait for IPL continued till 2013. Again, Chennai crushed Mumbai in qualifier 1 leading to another season where Mumbai might just fall short. It came true when Mumbai posted a mere total of 148 and it looked to be a target CSK would thrive upon. But what transpired proved to be a major boost to Mumbai’s IPL journey and they finally lifted the trophy after crushing CSK by 23 runs. Since then, Mumbai Have won 4 of their 5 playoff meeting between the two giants.
Since the bumper joy in 2010, CSK has only faced heartache against Mumbai especially in the final. Mumbai have beaten them in all the corresponding finals after 2010. In 2013, 2015, and 2019, Mumbai found a way to get past the spirited CSK. Mumbai have won 4 IPL trophies while CSK has lifted it three times. Chennai fans only rue those three final losses that would have put them as the most dominant team in the IPL.
Let’s look at some amazing facts when these two supergiants collide against each other:
- All finals since 2008 have been one-sided encounters except 2017 and 2019. Mumbai Indians got past CSK and RPS by just a mere 1 run.
- Rohit Sharma has been on the winning side in all 3 finals where he came up against MS DHONI.
- 7 out of 12 IPL trophies are shared between both these giants.
- Both teams have also followed their success in Champions League T20 that was played from 2008-2014. They both have lifted the trophy 2 times each.
- Even with CSK’s 2-year ban, both teams have played 29 encounters between them which combines to 31 with the inclusion of CLT20. This shows how consistent these two teams are and the ambition they carry on the field.
With September 19 just on the horizon, we cannot wait for the encounter between these two teams. The history and tradition of this fixture will always be written in high regards and we shall expect no different this season. Will CSK avenge what transpired last year or Mumbai would get past them for 6th time in a row? We shall find out when IPL commences.